Concord is looking for staff who have experience working with special needs and enjoy the outdoors. All staff will be completing a week long training program conducted by teachers, ABA therapists and directors of various camps.
CAMP COUNSELLOR JOB DESCRIPTION:
• Must be at least 20 years of age
• Experience in working with children
• Experience in working with people with special needs is an asset
• Valid First Aid and CPR Certificates is an asset
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Must be creative and energetic
• A bronze medallion or higher swim level is an asset
*Camp Concord counsellors require basic leadership skills, compassion, energy, and integrity during all Camp sessions, including one week of pre-Camp counsellor training.*
• To work in conjunction with counsellors to provide supervision and leadership, and ensure the physical and emotional safety of all campers ages 7 to 30 years old.
• To ensure that campers' basic needs are met on. a daily basis in terms of health, hygiene and nutrition, and that campers are supported in adjusting to the schedule.
• To work with other counsellors and instructors to lead the campers in recreational and skill development activities, both as a group and individually.
• To participate where need be in activities with campers, encouraging the development of their skills through positive role modelling.
• To adhere to, and interpret to the campers the policies, practices and procedures of Camp Concord, and to act as a positive role model at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities
Supervise and support a group of campers in conjunction with 2 co-counsellors by:
•ensuring the physical and emotional safety of each camper
•assisting campers in learning and adjusting to the daily routine
•assisting each camper in meeting his/her health, hygiene and nutritional needs
•explaining and clarifying camp guidelines and expectations
•participating with campers in ALL programs and activities
•assisting with the development of social skills
•providing fun, safe and age-appropriate activities
•modelling appropriate behaviour in all routines, programs and activities
Receive supervision and support by:
•meeting regularly with the Counsellor Supervisor and other counsellors for feedback
•acting on feedback received
•seeking out direction from your supervisor whenever you are unsure or unclear about anything
•assisting in the implementation of special theme days, evening programs, and other camp activities
•being an active member of the Counselling Team, giving input and suggestions and problem solving
In all activities in all camp programs by:
•checking equipment and program areas for safety and cleanliness
•reporting any unsafe conditions immediately
•providing direct leadership during activities
•encouraging and motivating campers and staff to participate in activities
•participating with campers in programs and activities
•taking responsibility for all campers
Fully as part of the overall staff team by:
•working co-operatively with all other staff
•participating in emergency procedures, such as waterfront and fire drills
•supporting and interpreting to other staff and campers all camp policies
•acting as a positive role model at all times
•assisting in the overall camp program by suggesting ideas, giving leadership when required, and completing all duties as assigned
Other related duties:
•Perform all other related duties as assigned by a Senior Staff Member or Camp Directors.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org